Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Guest Post: Polish Beet Soup

Today I am so excited to share a guest post from my good friend Joanna. Joanna's family comes from Poland and this is her twist on Polish Beet Soup - a recipe passed down in Joanna's family through the generations. The beets even come from her very own backyard garden!


Oh yes, and Happy Halloween!


I really wanted to share Joanna's post today because with much excitement (and sadness)  today is Joanna's last day working in our office.

Joanna and I have been friends and co-workers for the past 5 1/2 years. Although I know we will stay friends and see each other often, I want to give Joanna and special thanks for all her help and everything she has taught me over these past 5 1/2 years. I couldn't have done it without her and will miss her so much!

Joanna - I am so excited for you to start this new career path. You will be great at it and they are lucky to have you!! Don't worry, we'll always keep you informed of when we are going to Foley's :)


Joanna and her husband Will are the talent behind The Adventures of WillieMann - Check out their AMAZING photos!!






Here is the recipe directly from Joanna...Enjoy!


I started with 8 cups of water.  If you're going for more, adjust ingredients as needed.

In 8 cups of water bring two beef bullion cubes, 1/2 tspn of black peppercorns, 1/2 tspn of allspice and 2 bay leaves to boil.


Add whole carrots and celery to broth for flavor.


Clean, peel and slice or shred raw beets... probably about 4 cups (once sliced), the more you add, the richer the flavor.

Add beets to broth and continue to boil until beets are tender.  Do not over boil (the soup will turn brown).

Bring to simmer.

Add 2 tblsp of white vinegar (I hear you can also use lemon juice) - this is to keep the soup a vibrant red and give it a little "tanginess".


Add 2 tspn of marjoram.


Add salt & more pepper to taste.


Simmer on low for about 10 minutes

All done!



Notes from Joanna:
In Poland, this is traditionally served over mushroom dumplings, but I just strained it into a cup for an afternoon snack.
The carrots and celery can be tossed (I saved the carrots for the dogs)
The beets can be chilled and used in salads the next day - how's that for efficiency!

No comments:

Post a Comment