Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Chinatown Hot Pot through the Hipstamatic lens

My friends and I love going to Hot Pot restaurants but haven't been in a while. The other weekend we finally got our act together and went to Kaze Shabu Shabu in Chinatown. Hot Pot is where a large bowl of broth is heated at the table and various ingredients are cooked in that broth.

I have been playing around with my Hipstamatic app for the iPhone as I took all of these photos with the John S. lens and Ina's 1969 film.

First thing to do is make the plain soy sauce they give you more flavorful! Ingredients typically given are scallions, minced garlic, hot peppers, and a chinese barbecue sauce. Mix them in the soy sauce until you get a combination you like.


Next up...SAKI BOMBS! If you know me you will know I am not a huge beer fan but at Hot Pot I am always down to saki bomb.


Some people get warm saki but we just get it cold because it is going right into cold beer.


There are a few different kinds of broth you can but we always go with the basic miso soup. Here is how it looks when they bring it to the table. There is a burner in the middle of the table and it heats the broth up really fast.


Of course we need an appetizer. We went for the fan fried pork gyoza.


We have tried a few different entrees and our favorite is short ribs. Each entree comes with a plate of vegetables to add to your broth and a choice of rice or noodles. We usually split one entree between two people.


Vegetables cooking away...


The short ribs only take 10 seconds to cook in the broth  because it is sliced so thin.


Udon noodles 





Jaime doing a saki bomb!


YUM!



2 comments:

  1. I have actually been here a few years ago! its such an interesting experience. sake bombs are the best, though I like mine with hot sake!

    ReplyDelete