Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup


I have been slacking over here...pretty bad. A few weeks ago I could have used the holiday's as an excuse but now it's early February...soooo all I'll say is that it has been one of the nicest winters we've had (barely any snow!) and my friends and I have been out and about almost every weekend. Therefore, no time to stay home and cook.


And yes, I know it is not fall anymore but I just really wanted butternut squash soup ok?


:)












Now that I have spent all my money on drinks and having fun it's time to get back into the swing of things. Gym. Eating healthy. Saving money. 


I give it one week. Hah.

Also, I'm in deep depression over the Patriot's loss in the Super Bowl. I have been avoiding the TV so I don't have to see recaps or even worse, happy NY Giants Fans celebrating. UGHHH. Worst.

I had yesterday off from work (thinking I would be celebrating a Patriot's win) but instead I ended up getting sick and really doing a whole lot of nothing. I needed to take one more sick day today so decided I could at least start with the "eating healthy" part of my goal.  Here we go....



WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

  • 4lb butternut squash
  • 2 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth
  • 4 tablespoons of honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon of minced ginger
  • 8 tablespoons of heavy cream
  • salt and pepper to taste



Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.





Cut the squash in half and scoop out all of the seeds and fibers.




Drizzle on olive oil and fresh cracked pepper.




And here is where I got side tracked and stopped taking pictures. Typical.

Roast the squash for 45-60 mins (depending on the size of the squash). When the squash can be easily pierced with a fork is is good to go!

Scoop the insides out into a large soup pot. Add the chicken stock, honey and ginger. Bring to a simmer. 

If you have an immersion blender then you are in luck - puree all the ingredients right in the soup pot. If not, just use a food processor or a blender and pour back in the soup pot when finished.

Once pureed, add the heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste. 

Bring back to a low simmer and you are all done!



No comments:

Post a Comment