Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tasting Menu at Tico

I love going out to dinner with Jaime.

Lately we've found some really great Groupon/Eversave/LivingSocial/GiltCity/Bloomspot deals. There are SO many sites now and what they are offering is getting better and better. These vouchers and deals are a great way to introduce yourself to a new restaurant, especially one you may not have wanted to try before.

A restaurant we haven't wanted to try before? There aren't many. Jaime and I keep a list of restaurants and it is growing by the day. Don't make fun of us.




Tico has been on the list for a while. It was just a stroke of luck that Gilt City had a deal for it. A great deal I might add. $65 got us 4 tasting plates, 1 taco each, 1 la plancha each, 1 dessert to share and a pitcher of margaritas. That's right. A PITCHER.




A la plancha means food that is grilled on flattop metal plate over low even heat with a little oil to caramelize. Yes, I looked that fact up. But now we know.

So Tico. It was amazing. I cannot wait to go back and taste other dishes on their menu. They are a must try if you are in the Boston area!

What I liked most about this deal was that the chef chose the tasting plates for us. It was very exciting not knowing what was coming our way next.


~


First up was a the Ceviche of the Day. Ours was a striped bass served with a side of hot sauce and an oversize tortilla chip. 

I usually do not eat striped bass but this was fantastic!




Next was the Shredded Cabbage Salad with spicy salsa verde vinaigrette and crushed almonds. I didn't realize how much I loved salsa verde until this dish. It was so refreshing and light.




If there was one dish that was made for me and Jaime it was the Sweet Corn with Bacon, Chiles and Thai Basil. Next time I want two of these :)





Tico’s Mac ‘N Cheese with serrano ham and crunchy bread crumbs was perfect. Not too heavy and the ham gave just the right boost of flavor.

(I can't believe those stray pieces of corn landed on the table and not our our mouths!)




The La Plancha.


Ours was a homemade chorizo with chimichurri. Out of all the dishes we had this was my least favorite. It was caramelized great but I didn't like the sauce - it was way too oily!





Our taco was crispy fried chicken with fennel slaw & spicy buttermilk dressing. 

Everything about this dish worked well together and the "taco" was an very authentic tortilla that you could tell was fresh.





This is straight from Tico's menu: "Super delicious Chocolate Tart with tres leche ice cream-

it’s good for you, loaded with lots of vitamins!"


Well they were right it was super delicious. The homemade tres leche ice cream had these toffee crunchy bits underneath and the tart was topped with homemade whipped cream and sat on caramel sauce.





~


Well if this hasn't convinced you to go to Tico I don't know what will! Everything we had was great and I loved the surprise of the tasting menu to give the meal some excitement. 

Tico has three different tasting menus offered every day for $35, $55 and $85 per person.



2 comments: